Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Abby's Monsters

Abby had, as far as I can tell, the worst nightmare she's ever had last night. She called out to me sharply in the middle of the night. This is something that isn't too rare - it happens if she's scared, confused, itchy, sick... not tired... Usually it just takes a quick kiss and hand through her hair to get her back to sleep or at least accepting that I can't stay and she needs to go back to sleep.

But last night she was wide-eyed when I went in there and wide-eyed five minutes later when I tried to leave. I was planning on putting my foot down - that's how we got rid of night-wakings in the first place. But I could just tell something was different. I can't remember what deal I offered, but when I said she could come into our bed she clarified in that heart-wrenching way she does, "You mean I can come in your bed right now?" and then stood like her bed was on fire when I said yes.

So she climbed into our bed, we told Daddy what had happened and he put his arm around her and she didn't make a peep. I held her hand (since she was pretty securely snuggled against Daddy) expecting her to fall asleep within a few seconds. I actually fell asleep first for I'm not sure how long and when I tried to let go of her hand I realized she was still wide-eyed awake and just plain scared.

I sort of pinched her hand into the fold of my arm so I wouldn't let go as I slept and the next time I tried to turn (quite a bit later) her hand fell to the bed with a satisfyingly unconscious thump.

Tonight she was exhausted (you know, the poor girl. Not only had I completely forgotten my lesson learned about Lunch Bunch Tuesday - i.e. that the extra time at school means she needs extra freak out time. But today when she was being difficult, I'd forgotten all about the nightmare and lack of sleep) AND we had another big running around sort of day. She was scared to go to sleep however so I sat with her just like old times.

We prayed and she asked anxiously, "Did God hear you?"

Assured that even if she had a bad dream, God would be right there next to her, she went to bed within two minutes. Now we wait... and Mommy searches the internet for 4 year old nightmare advice. She wouldn't talk about it, she didn't want to tell me. All I know is that there were monsters and they were killing people but she wasn't in the dream (i.e. being hurt) and neither were the rest of the family.

I can still remember telling my parents about the black panther dream one night. Once I verbalized it, I never had it again... or rather - I do think the panther showed up again rather soon after that but in a more neutral almost comical way.

4 comments:

diane said...

I can still remember my three/four year old recurring nightmare. Bugs Bunny was chasing me around the furnace (one of those big ones with huge pipes going everywhere)that was in the basement. I don't remember why that would be scary, but I remember the terror even 60 years later - I guess I should have told somebody.

Albert said...

Abby said to me today - "Sometimes I get really scared in my new bed. Yeah, ever since Gramma made me a new bedroom."
So our little munchkin, I propose, needs a connection to her old environment or a way to make her new bedroom especially cozy (favorite cuddly? .. 3 of her favorite goodies on display?). Or maybe just a bit more time to get acclimated to her "new" bedroom. Hope the bad dreams have stopped by now.
By the way I remember when I was maybe 6, I was convinced there were monsters under my bed and that my only protection was to lie perfectly still - and I figured I'd better not breath loud enough to be heard either. I damn near suffocated!

diane said...

oh sure blame it on me.....

Albert said...

Well - we all know how you mistreat that child!